Thursday, August 16, 2007

YES!

Guess what, guys?

3300+ words later, I have finished the first draft of Jenna.

WoooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooo!

(yes, I'm all teary.)

Thanks so much for all your support. Mind, I'll need it again in a week or so when I'm editing, chopping, adding, and re-working, but for now? Thank you.

I know I've been pretty close-mouthed about what Jenna was even about, but since I'm pretty sure the main plot is not going to move around now, I'm going to post the hook (which, yes, I've already written) in celebration. Here 'tis. Gotta go post on the forum now!

The Weirdest Thing about Jenna
by Susan Adrian

Fifteen-year-old Jenna's life is…complicated. Her mom, a true-life columnist, has a new job on national radio—so now people across the country can share every little embarrassing moment. Jenna's been yanked from San Diego and dumped with her dad, in small-town Montana. Oh, and she sometimes abruptly disappears into an alternate world, where each kid has their own shade, one person who is their perfect balance. At least Joe always understands her.

But the other world starts falling apart at the same time as Jenna's real life. Joe and all the other shades are in danger, and Jenna has to help fix the balance to save him, and herself. But just when she's getting it, her dad sees her "disappear"…in what looks like a seizure. Now Jenna's caught up in a nightmare of doctors, tests, and needles, in a world where she has no control, and no one believes her. Are the doctors right, that Joe is just a hallucination of epilepsy? Or is he real, and waiting for her to save him?

Follow Jenna into a world of flying monkeys, cranky nurses, and a hot guy with problems of his own.

13 comments:

Jenny said...

WOOT!

You go girl!

And day-um, what a hook. *g*

Congrats!

Carol Spradling said...

Woohoo, Susan!!! Great going.

Susan Adrian said...

Thank you, Jenny!!

I love your comment about the hook. {G}

Susan Adrian said...

Thanks again, Carol!!

Annie Wicking said...

Hi Susan,
Sound like you have a very interesting book on your hands there. Keep working at it and don't be in a rush to send it out to publishers or agents. The key to a great book is to make sure it shine and you're truely happy with it. That is the time to let others see it.

My very best wishes and good luck.

Annie

Precie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Keep up the great work! Sounds like a fascinating hook, and I'm sure the forum will give you great advice on perfecting a query. Good luck with the editing!

--Precie

Susan Adrian said...

Thanks, Annie!

Not to worry about rushing. I won't let it go until it's ready.

However, I am going to pitch it at my writer's conference in October. Whether I pitch it as a "done" book or an "almost done" book will depend. :)

Susan Adrian said...

Thank you, Precie!!

Cindy said...

Yay! You've done it again!

Good for you. I'll eat some ice cream in your honor. (S)

Susan Adrian said...

Cindy:

Yes! And you know what? I think I will too. {g}

Diana Peterfreund said...

Congratulations, Susan! And thanks for satisfying my curiosity about the topic. It sounds MOST intriguing...

Susan Adrian said...

Thanks, Diana! I do hope so. {g}

Next week: fix it. :)

Chris said...

Congrats that's a big deal! (And man are you fast, I'm ashamed of myself) Sounds like a great story.