Monday, July 09, 2007

Next

Hokay. I finished the rewrite of the first half (yay) and wrote 500 new words today.

One thing I discovered in the rewrite, though--I'm, er, closing in on the climax much quicker than I thought. Like...soon. I think this book might not make it to 65,000 words. I'm guessing, from the way it's going right now, that this first draft might come in at around 50k. Around 140 typewritten pages.

I'll have to investigate a little and see if that's fair length for a YA book--it seems awfully short to me. And I could probably expand a little on second draft. But to keep it tight...well, I don't know. We shall see. For now I'm keeping focused on the story, and what the story needs, and we'll do a full wordcount at the end.

Interesting, though, eh? You learn something new every book. :)

5 comments:

Jennifer Hendren said...

Susan,

The average length for a YA is 40-60K... so you're all good. Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. :)

Jen

Jennifer Hendren said...

Oh, and I'm honing in on 70K with BTPM. LOL. Short is NOT my thing. :) *looking for places to cut*

Jen

Carol Spradling said...

Hi Susan,

*You learn something new every book.*

Very true. Let's just hope they all stick. (s)

Susan Adrian said...

Jen:

40-60? Wow. I had that in the back of my head somewhere, but it just sounded unreasonably short. I guess I've been too long with historicals, where 100k is short. {g}

Thanks!

Susan Adrian said...

Carol:

Yep, that's the idea. Pile that learning on. :)