Thursday, July 16, 2009

Raising a Reader

I love that I caught Child twice in the past day sneaking reading when she was supposed to be doing something else.

I love that we just got back from the library, and though going in she said she still had too many to read and didn't need more, she walked out with 3 new ones. "Because they look so interesting."

I love that I just asked Child what her favorite book was, and she couldn't answer. There were "too many books that I love because I love books." She ended up settling on the whole mystery category.

I love that she's currently reading TALES OF A 4TH GRADE NOTHING and a Betsy-Tacy-Tib book, both of which I adored at her age. I love that they both make her laugh. Some books endure through generations--they capture experience, and story, so well it doesn't matter when they were written. They are magical.

This is why I write, trying to create this kind of magic.

And watch out, publishing world. I'm raising a reader. You're gonna have to work hard to keep up with her. :)

9 comments:

AmethystGreye said...

I'm so jealous! My oldest son has trouble reading, but I'm doing my best to make him love it as much as I do.

Tiffany Schmidt said...

Hooray! Can I recruit her to be in my class in a few years?

Good job, Suze. Now go buy her a good booklight so she can sneaky-read under the covers like all good readers do.

Jean Wogaman said...

I can't imagine where she gets it from.

Anonymous said...

Eee! This post makes me grin - that's how writers are made. Keep doing what you're doing, bb!

Gary Corby said...

Funnily enough, I posted on almost the same subject just the other day about my girls. We generally need a crowbar to get the books out of their hands to make them go to sleep. Not that I'm complaining.

Looks like between us, the publishing industry is safe for another generation.

courtney said...

I have the biggest smile on my face after reading this. It must be hard to discipline when you catch her sneak reading. "THAT IS SO AWESOME... but you have other things to do! BUT IT'S AWESOME KEEP IT UP!" Hee. :)
Your Child rocks.

Janet Reid said...

I'm so glad she loves to read!
Any chance she'd like to take a crack at some query letters?

Susan Adrian said...

Amethyst: I'm very lucky!!

Tiffany: I would LOVE for her to be in your class. Though maybe not the moving to do it. Will you come here in 4 years? :)

Jeanie: *grin*

Emily: YES! Her favorite going-to-sleep game is when I give her 3 random things to make a story out of. Last night was an eyepatch, a yellow flower, and an egg. :)

Susan Adrian said...

Gary: *fistbump at raising readers*

Courtney: YAY! And yes, I do get conflicted. When she's reading, it's really difficult to even drag her eyes away from that page. And, you know, get dressed. :)

Janet: Heh. You really want a 7-year-old vetting your queries? *thinks* It'd probably be pretty amusing, actually. I'd be interested to see what she thought. HA.