Friday, July 07, 2006

Making the Connection

Yesterday I started in on the research for Book 2--I went to the campus library and got some general 14th-century overviews to bone up on John of Gaunt and all the political shenanigans that were going on. Oh, and ordered "John of Gaunt, King of Castile and Leon, Duke of Aquitaine and Lancaster, Earl of Derby, Lincoln, and Leicester, Seneschal of England". (Have I said how much I love interlibrary loan?) I started making a list of all the characters I want to include and investigate, and noting down intriguing plot points.

And I hit paydirt right away, in the first book. Woo-hooo! I came across a historical notation that my two main characters were involved in a huge, dramatic (traumatic) event with their father when they were 11 and 12. It has the makings of an excellent beginning, would start with action AND set the scene for all that comes later. And it would pull the readers right in. Heck, it pulled me right in to the research book. I got all giddy.

I also had a rather odd sensation that I've experienced before a few times; I wonder if you have.

I'm still deciding which of the two sisters will be my main POV character. I think I know, but I haven't quite committed yet. As I was reading last night I had the strangest feeling that I was really watching this event happen. I was there, just hovering over them like a spirit. More, I knew that I could choose one of them and slip into her skin, inhabit her, see her life through her eyes. I could feel them, and their interest. Was this one more receptive to me? Did this one want to tell her story more than the other?

I do wonder sometimes about this connection, in writing historical fiction, between the writer and the character/historical figure. I wonder if we travel in time through our minds, somehow. I wonder if we are ghosts to them, or they are to us. I wonder how many of those eerily correct hints and guesses we make are real.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new book. If it comes together like it is shaping already in my mind, it will be fabulous. Oh, and Isabella is the one who wants to talk to me so far...so we'll keep on with the research and see where that goes.

Medieval Word of the Day: louke: a boon companion.

6 comments:

Vicki Pettersson said...

{{I also had a rather odd sensation that I've experienced before a few times; I wonder if you have.}}

None of your business.
{g,d,&r}

Susan Adrian said...

Vic:

LOL! Geez. Evil writer.

Cindy said...

Dear Susan:
Is Isabelle one of the sisters? And do you really have to choose one pov? Just a thought, I like stories told from multiple pov.

Have I had that sensation? I think so, but not lately. {G}

Susan Adrian said...

Cindy:

Yep, Isabelle is one of the sisters.

And what I'm _thinking_ I'd like to do is have one 1st POV and one or more 3rd POVs to balance it. I have seen this done before. {g} If it doesn't work I might either do all 3rds or just 1st, but I would like to try to stretch to add additional POVs this time if I can.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got some cool POV tricks of the trade ready to go for this next book - you go, girl! I've not had that experience - mine doesn't come visually, but in audio - like someone is whispering a sentene about where to go next in my head...and I'm supposed to write it down.

Good luck on the research!
Julie

Susan Adrian said...

Julie:

In audio? Wow, that's interesting. Does that make it harder to do description, if you're just hearing it? Hmm. Or maybe you're hearing the description. {g}

The research is going well so far. Everything is a possibility at this point, and it's fun!