Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The eyes have it

I had a minor adventure yesterday.

I was sitting at my desk, wrapping things up for the day, when my eye started bothering me. I rubbed the heck out of it like I usually do, thinking it was a stray eyelash or something. I'm not squeamish about my eyes--I wore contacts for years and years, so I just ride with it. But it kept bugging me. It felt like a little mound of sand.

Hubby called, time to go. I shut everything down, still rubbing at my eye, and decided to take a peek in the mirror on my way out the door.

There was a white glob there, right smack in the middle of my pupil. And it wouldn't move. I blinked hard, swiped at it even, but it wouldn't move. It was stuck. Now it started to hurt.

I admit, I panicked a little. What was it? Would it scratch my eye? If I couldn't get it out, was I going to be blinded for life? (Okay, I didn't really think that. But I do have a vivid imagination.) Anyway, I panicked enough that hubby brought me to the eye doctor on the way to get Child.

Good thing, too. I had a piece of hard plaster--or plastic, he couldn't tell--stuck on my eye. The doctor had to numb the eye and remove the little piece, then do some other magic eye-doctor stuff. And it DID scratch it a little, enough that I'm taking antibiotic eye drops just in case, for a few days. And my eye feels weird. I'm blinking a lot. I'm not wearing eye makeup. I've got eye drops next to me, open and ready.

Strange, eh? Because some tiny bit of plaster decided to wander in and get stuck?

10 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Eep! I hate any accidents involving eyes. You were lucky you went straight to the doctor.

Julianne Douglas said...

Ooh, how weird! I'm glad you got to the doctor before there was more damage. I hope your eye feels better soon!

Lindsay York Levack said...

Oh, Suze! I'm so sorry! But I admit I'm terribly glad to hear it's removed and you're on the mend.

Blinking good thoughts your way!

Or, should that be winking? ;o)

Susan Adrian said...

Chris, Julianne, and Lindsay: I know! I kept telling the doctor, over and over, "I'm so glad I came!"

It still hurts a little, but nothing like yesterday. Still writing away. :)

Janet Reid said...

Glad you're on the mend! My evil plans for world domination rely in no small part upon you being able to see your keyboard and screen!

Deborah Small said...

Aiyee! I am so glad you went to the doctor. Corneal abrasions or infections are Not Good. Had a horse once that almost lost its eye after an eyelash caused an infection.

Beaming Best Wishes for a Quick Recovery!

Deb

Susan Adrian said...

Janet:

Funny, but MY world domination plans also involve me being able to see. Hmmm. Coincidence?

Susan Adrian said...

Deb:

Just got back from check-up, and it's all healed over. Hooray for eye doctors!

He also said it was probably plastic, because now he thinks plaster would have dissolved. No more saying I got plastered at work. (my Dad came up with that!)

Linda G. said...

Suze,

Yee-ouch. Dude. You're supposed to close your eyes when little pieces of plastic come flying at your face. You know, just for future reference. {g}

Glad you're better now. {s}

Linda

Cindy said...

Eeeek!

Now wheredja get a thing like that, I wonder? Anyway, I'm glad you're going better today.