Monday, October 09, 2006

Of Food and Weather

The oddities of Montana weather: yesterday afternoon we were swimming in the outside pool at the hot springs, basking in the late fall sunlight and the warm water. This morning it's snowing.

I had a culinarily successful weekend, which always makes me happy in a see-I-can-too-be-a-good-wife-and-mother kind of way. I think it's my grandmother's genes celebrating (that would be the neat grandmother, the one who never ever allowed food in the living room, and didn't let us in the front room at all). Anyway, both recipes were from my very favorite food blog. So far every recipe of Elise's I've tried has been scrumptious.

Saturday I made Sesame and Cilantro Pasta salad, which was such a hit that my husband ate leftovers as a snack that night, and was still talking about it the next day. It's a good light meal paired with fruit and bread, or would be an excellent side dish.

Yesterday I ventured a little further and tried Chicken Paprikash. It's basically chicken baked with onions, paprika, and garlic, and then you fry the onions a little more with chicken broth and sour cream and spoon them on top of the chicken. Yum. I served it with garlic couscous and sliced tomatoes; I almost think it requires the couscous, to soak up all the good stuff.

Back to pizza and salad tonight, but it's always fun to shake things up a bit on the weekend.

And now I must off to work. But I get to write today! Yay! I had a vivid dream this morning, which always presages well for the writing. I think it connects me to my creative side.

Medieval Word/Phrase of the Day: Phrase through thick and thin (in thick and thin): through everything that is in the way; without regard to or in spite of obstacles or difficulties; under any circumstances. lit. and fig. (app. orig. with reference to ‘thicket and thin wood’.)

Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales" is the first recorded instance of this phrase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I can't eat cilantro. Tastes like soap. But chicken paprikash, I've made. With the little dumplings. My husband's mother's family is Hungarian (actually, they're from Transylvania, but consider themselves Hungarian. Or something like that.), anyway, chicken paprikash is one of his favourite meals. :o)